Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Hermit Island


The winding road from Bath Maine to Hermit Island is a short one, but it feels like eternity. The fact that I only see this place once a year heightens the excitement so much that it practically radiates from me. When I see the entryway come into view, my breath stops. I get relived. I’m finally here. We pull into the dirt parking lot, and I step out and immediately bury my feet in the warm sand and breathe in the cool ocean air. As I look around the slight breeze slowly makes the island trees sway back and forth, reflecting the sun’s rays, making the green leaves even brighter. After the tedious task of setting up the tents and assembling campsite comforts, it is finally time to go to the beach. For the whole week all I do at the beach is sleep. I tilt my hat forward, put my hands behind my head, and feel the warm sand on my back. Once again I bury my feet right there. Periodically, I wade out into the bay letting the waves come crashing up against me as I just look out at the horizon waiting for the sun to go down. As it starts to get dark, I know that its time to watch the sunset. There is a rocky outcropping jettisoning off into the ocean, and campers gather at this spot as a family to watch the golden and fiery red rays of the burning sun get slowly smothered by the ocean’s cool blue waves. If I could live anywhere it would be here.


by Brendan

No comments:

Post a Comment